Am I Eligible?
You can apply for a Transition Award if you have completed a minimum of two Adult Basic Education courses at a BC public post-secondary institution and are planning to enroll in full-time post secondary studies.
Program reopens for applications in February of 2024.
Detailed Eligibility Criteria:
Transition Award Eligibility
The Transition Award is available to Adult Basic Education students who:
- have completed – or will be completing – a minimum of two Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses at a BC public post-secondary institution between September, 2022 and December, 2023; and,
- are planning to enroll in full-time post secondary studies at a BC public post-secondary institution between the dates of May 1, 2023, and April 30, 2024. (Full time is defined as no less than 60% of a full course load.)
- are Canadian citizens, permanent residents (landed immigrants), convention refugees, or protected persons living in Canada; and
- are residents of British Columbia, defined as having a primary residence in BC for at least 12 months prior to the date of application for the Award; and
- have clearly demonstrated meaningful volunteer and/or community service*
- can describe clear career/life and education goals.
*Applicants who can demonstrate family and/or employment obligations that limited volunteer and/or community service opportunities will be considered eligible.
- Students can apply in advance of receiving official acceptance from the post-secondary institution they plan to attend.
- Students with a break in studies of more than one year from the date of completing ABE courses are not eligible to apply for a Transition Award, except in extenuating circumstances (e.g., medical).